Locations of visitors to this page

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Gaters - Fremont, CA


Gaters
3846 Mowry Avenue
Fremont, CA 94538
(510) 494-9944

We were going to eat at Yuri next door, but saw that they were closed (I forgot they did that between lunch and dinner) so we ventured to Gaters (name sounds like a Cajun/Creole-type establishment, doesn't it?) Anyway, I love all Mediterranean food and hole-in-the-wall places as well, so I quickly got over the fact that I wasn't going to Yuri for their Sunset nigiri.

On to Gaters: the gyro was pretty good and the friendly staff happily obliged my request for extra tzatziki sauce (it's all about the tzatziki!) DH got the spicy gyro, which he liked but wasn't all that spicy. We tried the dolmas...and were not impressed at all. Honestly, the dolmas from Costco are better!

Overall, we were very pleased with the service and happy with the gyros. The loud Arabic music might be a bit much for most people, but it's the norm for hole-in-the-wall joints like this, so I didn't mind it because it actually brought back wonderful memories of when I used to live in Paris!

I only wish they served Merguez Frites...that would have given 'em a 4th star...maybe even a 5th if it was anything like what I've had in Paris. I think the owner/manager is half-Lebanese, so maybe they don't really do the Maghreb (North Africa region) food, hence no Merguez Frites.

Gaters Mediterranean Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment