Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Demitri's Taverna - Livermore, CA


Demitri's Taverna
2235 1st St
Livermore, CA 94550
(925) 373-0306

Sadly, this was another yelp disappointment...so many good reviews on yelp and yet...food = fail. Service was great, the entire staff was friendly, but unfortunately, I won't be back because of the food.

My "regular" Greek restaurant closes early (8pm) so we came here to satisfy my Greek food craving last night. We shared a dolmades appetizer and avgolemono soup; I had the gyros and DH had the seafood pasta. The dolmades was "okay" but a little on the dry side (even with the avgolemono sauce.) At ~$9 for 4 pieces I expected a lot better. The avgolemono, one of my favorite soups, how can you go wrong? Well, I think this one needed a squeeze of fresh lemon...in my opinion it was a little on the blah side, but not bad.

I ordered the gyros platter and it was the worst I've ever had...and I've eaten many, many, many gyros in my lifetime! The pita bread was hard and dense; it was so tough on one end that I didn't even finish it. The gyros was dry and I tried to make it taste better by drenching it in tzatziki sauce. It might have worked, but their tzatziki was not authentic at all...it had no mint and/or dill and the consistency was similar to whipped cream cheese. It should have been called "spread" not "sauce"! Where's the YOGURT??? Oh, and don't even get me started on the fries...I ate about 5-6 of them and left the rest. Cold, hard, yuck.

I'm giving them 1 star for great service...plus I typically only give zero stars for an entire experience being terrible. Sorry, Demitri's, I really wanted to like you but I'm going to be faithful to my "regular" Greek restaurant from now on...I'll just have to eat earlier on Greek food nights.



Dinner for two including tax and tip: $21.24
(courtesy of a $25 Restaurant.com gift certificate)

Demitri's Taverna on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment