Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Jeepney - Pleasanton, CA


The Jeepney
6654 Koll Center Pkwy
Pleasanton, CA 94566
(925) 461-1115

The friendly staff and the cheerful decor are what really pushed this review up to 3 stars, as the food alone would have earned them only 2 stars. Since I'm not overly familiar with Filipino food, the man behind the counter was nice enough to offer me some samples of a few dishes before I ordered them. It's funny how some things taste pretty good on your first bite, but when they're on your plate, they don't really taste that great after all.

The Beef Mechado was pretty good, thanks to all the sauce that came with it! First of all, the plain white rice they serve here was pretty bad...it was hard and it very well may have been yesterday's rice? Anyway, I appreciated having all that sauce for the rice to soak in to be somewhat edible.

The Beefsteak was meh...yep, just meh. It was good in the little sample container, a little piece of meat drenched in all that sauce, but having a big piece on my plate was just too much and too tough for me. At least it's beef and my dogs will enjoy it way better than I did.

I wanted a seafood dish and all they had tonight was Tilapia, so I ordered it without asking how it was prepared. They brought out a dish with two whole fish on it...yes, the entire fish...head, tail and all! Gulp. I am the most un-Filipina person ever...so I sat there while everyone gawked at my Portuguese husband eating that fish like a Filipino would!

Seriously, I really came here because of the Restaurant.com $25 gift certificate and what I was most looking forward to was their Halo-Halo. Unfortunately, even that was a little disappointing due to the fact that they used "crushed" ice and not "shaved" ice. I'm from Hawaii and we know shaved ice...it's like the powder you appreciate when skiing instead of slush. I loved the Ube (purple yam) ice cream that topped the Halo-Halo and I loved the goodies at the bottom, it was just the crushed ice I really didn't enjoy crunching on.

I'm quite surprised at the pretty nice pics I took on my iPhone...guess I'm either getting pretty good at this or the lighting must have been just right!



Great pic for an iPhone, huh?






Beef Mechado $9.30


Beefsteak $9.30


Tilapia Escabeche $7.99


Halo-Halo with Ube ice cream $4.45


The Jeepney on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. Just wanted to post a comment to let you know that I love your reviews and I live locally. Do you eat out everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part nowadays, yes...we do what we can to support the local economy! :)

    ReplyDelete